While you are at home practicing social distancing, protecting yourself, and caring for your loved ones, many scammers are trying to take advantage of you during this vulnerable time. Scammers are aware that individuals are not traveling and may need money, so they are contacting owners and offering to purchase their vacation ownership. These scammers are tempting many owners by praying on their desperation and fears during this unprecedented time. If it sounds too good to be true, that is because it is, and it is a scam.
Aware that many people need assistance during these times, scammers will also attempt to contact you to ask for your donations for Covid-19 victims. Please note our trusted and verified Eagle’s Wings Foundation gives back to underserved communities during times of need. (Eagle’s Wings Foundation is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit corporation, Tax ID# 33-0883036.) None of our representatives will ever contact you via phone call to request money or support. For those of you who would like to donate, we will only send you easily verifiable communication, and if at any point you suggest suspicious activity when you are contacted, please do not hesitate to contact our Member Service Agents at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-800-852-4755.
Be aware that scammers frequently pose as people or companies that you may be familiar with, including one of ours. They also pressure you to send them money, “act now,” or divulge private and confidential information, please do not do it! If you are ever unsure who you are speaking with, try to get the agents’ first and last name, ask their specific location, ask for as many details as possible and let them know that you will call them back later. Immediately contact our offices here in Las Vegas at email@example.com or by calling 1-800-852-4755 and be sure to speak with one of our trusted Member Services agents.
We want to encourage you to be proactive when it comes to protecting your private and financial information. You may be confused about the legitimacy of the person at the end of the phone line.
Please note the following regarding the Villa Group, ResortCom, and Universal Vacation Club International
- Our organizations will never contact you to sell your vacation ownership.
- Our organizations will never contact you to rent out your vacation ownership.
- Our organizations will never contact you to demand “Mexican Taxes” or other suspicious and hard-to-verify fees.
- Our organizations will never sell or share your personal information. Your information is safely encrypted on our systems and only accessible to a few, authorized personnel.
If someone contacts you regarding your membership, be sure to do a Google search of the phone number that is contacting you. The Google search engine is a powerful tool and an excellent resource for investigating who is contacting you. To demonstrate this, we typed in the phone number for ResortCom (your member servicing company) into the www.google.com search engine, and many results populate that verify the company’s location, images of the current building, business hours, and more. These are all key indicators that the phone number and organization contacting you is legitimate. Often, when you find that no information about a company populates from Google searching, that is a clear sign that they are not an established or legal organization.
How do I make a complaint regarding a scam artist?
- Contact the Federal Trade Commission, Business Fraud Division by calling 1-877-382-4357 or file a complaint online by clicking
- Report your experience to your state’s Attorney General’s Office. Search for the agency on the internet by typing in, for example, “Nevada Attorney General’s Office.” Usually, the “Complaint” link is one of the first you will notice.
- You may not be familiar with this new agency, but the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (“CFPB”) is particularly sensitive to scams against consumers and aggressive in its pursuit of scammers. File a complaint here.
- Lastly, call our local office as soon as possible and do not send any money. We can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1-800-852-4755.
We encourage you to be proactive when it comes to protecting your information. Always use your intuition, never send money, and when something does not seem right, be sure to ask questions and investigate! Lastly, always remember that as a valued member, we are here to serve you. Please, do not hesitate to reach out to us if you ever have any questions or concerns, and we will gladly help you. Your peace of mind and safety is our purpose!
Your UVCI Team