From time to time we feel it necessary to remind our valued members of some of the potential scams that befall even the savviest of vacation members. It has come to our attention recently that there seems to be a resurgence of resale and rental scams whereby members are being contacted by scammers either by telephone or email. Read on to find out more.
Vacation Ownershipe scams and Vacation Club Fraud
Most people assume that vacation club and vacation ownership fraud is restricted to fake vacation ownership sellers and resale markets when the real dangers can arise even after you have purchased a genuine membership. There has been many vacation ownership scams lately whereby even the happiest vacation club members have been targeted by “vacation ownership advocates” claiming to offer fraudulent services that include resale scams, cancellation scams and vacation ownership rental scams. If you are ever asked to pay a fee upfront to sell your vacation ownership, it is a scam.
Don’t be fooled by the name
Scam companies change their company names frequently to avoid being brought to justice. You are advised to be very wary of any company that calls or emails you offering resale, rental or cancellation services. You can be pretty sure these companies are scams. You should be particularly wary if the company claims to be working on behalf of ARDA, Universal Vacation Club, Club Caribe, or any of our associates as we do not endorse such services.
Top Scam Companies
The below is a list of top scam companies we have identified this year. Please be advised that this list does not include all scam companies.
- Acquisition Strategies, LLC
- ADS Realty, LLC.
- Advanced Travel
- Bed Bookers
- C Trip Corporation
- CCW Holdings
- Continental Mergers and Avocations
- Corporate Event Solutions
- Corporate Event Solutions
- CTRIP Travel Corporation
- Evergreen Investments
- Foxworth Marketing Co.
- Global Alpha Capital
- International Real Estate Investment
- Jacobs Adams Law Firm
- Law offices of Steven Haligas
- M&T Property Management
- Magnum Realty Group
- Network Brokerage Corporate
- Network Brokerage Corporation
- One Hundred Percent Escrow, LLC.
- R-5 Realty
- Resort Equity Marketing
- Resort Vacation Ownership Resales, Inc.
- Thomas Geantil Real State
- Travel Start Mexico
- Vacation Property Marketing
- Westwood Realty
- Zicasso Travel
Phone Number Watch List
The below is a list of phone numbers for top scam companies we have identified this year. Please be advised that this list does not include all scam companies and scammers often change their phone numbers to conceal their identity.
Steps to Take To Avoid Being Scammed
- Do your research. Go on Google and type in the phone number, email address, and/or company name associated with the person contacting you and see what comes up. Often times, you will see other people complaining about a scam.
- Never give personal or financial information over the phone or via mail/email.
- Do not give any money upfront to a company. Often times, scammers ask for a flat fee upfront and promise to sell or buyback your vacation ownership.
- Call Member Services at 800-852-4755 and let an agent know who has contacted you along with any details so they can give you advice and process a scam intake, if necessary.
What can you do if you have been scammed?
If you feel that you have been part of a scam, please share details of the scam with us by contacting Member Services at 1-800-852-4755 or email@example.com. You should also contact your local authorities and the state attorney general to file a report.
Final word of advice
Thoroughly research any company before paying any upfront fees for rental services or resale assistance. ResortCom International, our Las Vegas servicing company and the Developers will never try to purchase your membership from you. Most commonly, companies asking for upfront fees are scams. If in doubt, call Member Services: 1-800-852-4755 so we can offer guidance and assistance.