In the ancient language of the Mayans, Zama means “sunrise” – and what better way to contemplate the sun as it makes its way across the sky than by enjoying a delicious meal at the Zama Restaurant?
Located under the colossal palapa at the heart of the resort, the restaurant’s structure is reminiscent of an ancient Mayan God sitting ceremoniously at the heart of the resort. Zama Restaurant serves traditional Yucatecan food, which is inspired primarily by the ancient Mayans. Popular Yucatecan dishes include the following:
- Poc Chuc: Barbecued pork prepared in citrus marinade and cooked over a grill. Served with a side of rice, pickled onion, refried beans, and avocado, this is a signature dish in Yucatecan cuisine.
- Salbutes: Soft, cooked tortillas topped with cabbage, pulled chicken or turkey, tomato pickled red onion, avocado, and pickled jalapeño peppers.
- Panuchos: Fried tortillas filled with black beans and topped with pulled turkey or chicken, cabbage, pickled jalapeño peppers, avocado, and pickled red onions.
- Queso relleno: A carved cheese ball filled with ground pork and topped with tomato sauce and gravy.
- Papadzules: Egg tacos covered with pumpkin seed sauce and tomatoes.
- Cochinita Pibil: Pork marinated in citrus juice and seasoned while wrapped in a banana leaf.
- Xcatik: Spicy chili that is yellow in color and is often used to add spice to many Yucatecan dishes.
- Xnipec: A fiery salsa made with habanero chiles and orange juice.
At Zama you will get a taste of Yucatecan delicacies fashioned for the western palate. Zama Restaurant is open daily for lunch from 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Dinner is served daily from 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm except Wednesday evenings. We look forward to providing you with a culturally delectable dining experience during your next vacation at Villa del Palmar Cancun!